Thursday, April 28, 2005

Pixela ImageMixer is awful

I never thought transferring videos from handycam to computer could be so frustrating; definitely not after having done it successfully just 2 days ago.

Last night I was trying to transfer some video clips form my Sony handycam to my laptop using Pixela ImageMixer software. In the process I realized that Pixela could easily be rated as the worst software application ever developed as far as usability is concerned. It’s just awful. The worst thing is that it is so unpredictable and behaves crazy. I easily did this thing just 2 days ago using the same handycam and laptop; but here I am today wasting 3 hours fixing it up.

I don’t know why Pixela’s developers fail to see that they need to follow certain simple and generally accepted principles while designing a GUI. Pixela’s GUI makes a great study for an awful design. It doesn’t follow the standard menu bar, toolbar or context menu approach. Agreed that they want to showcase their creative talent. But that doesn’t mean they have to make it look like a Martian GUI.

I just felt so frustrated that I would’ve smacked the hell out of a Sony or Pixela support guy if they were to show up.

It leaves me wondering why software developers fail to realize the importance of usability.

1 Comments:

At October 13, 2005 8:42 PM, Blogger spaceman said...

You are right about Pixela. It does suck big time. In fact its not just the software, their policies etc also smell of the rot.
Here are two conversations I had with Sony Customer service regarding my handicam and its inability to do anything useful, and Pixela is at the heart of it:

http://kriyadog.blogspot.com/2005/06/support-case.html

http://kriyadog.blogspot.com/2005/06/support-case.html

I wish there was a way for everyone who's bit by bad software to come together and do something( make noise, ;) - cause that's probably all a human can do when up against a corporation - bunch of unresponsible humans ).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

counter stats